Sunday, May 16, 2010

SUNDAY NEWS

Boy, have I got NEWS to post today! In our efforts to expand our business here on the farm, we have decided to use the buildings we have rather than "add on". These have more character & will make use of what's already here. Only problem, they need help and lots of it.

Building #1 Project
OLD SMOKEHOUSE
Move & Fix
 We just decided today to MOVE this puppy, and got right to it! We'd used to to store our kids' bicycles, flower pots & what not over the years. Now, transformation is happening! What a job, though! It wasn't on blocks, just setting on the ground, so around the bottom the boards were all rotting. We will be doing some restoration work to help keep it lasting a lot more years yet, but at least we got it into place and in one piece.

Per usual, I forgot to take pictures from where it was located before, and while precariously on the trailer moving, etc. Sheesh! You'd think I'd learn. When we got it by my shop, Tim removed the chain and the building just FELL off the trailer and landed like this. It scared me at first as it hit so hard I thought it was going to fall apart into a million pieces, but thank God it held up! Here's how it looked when it landed. Notice the bucket on the front of our tractor is holding the building up!
Tim got busy. The front of the building was very much busted up from the move. After a bit of thought, I decided to remove the front & have it open, at least for now. We can go back later and put a front back on if & when needed.
Here it is now setting straight and on some bricks, etc. to sit as best we could get it until we get the concrete blocks and new foundation boards attached. I set some of my plants that require shade inside for now as they were getting a little bit too much sun. My plans are to use this for dried flowers, dried floral wreaths I make for the fall, and for whatever I need for the flower & garden part of my business. Looks like we may get a few more years of service out of this old fellow after all!

4 comments:

Firecracker Kid said...

Wow, that's a neat old shed. Perfect for what you'll be using it for. You're a frugal gal Denise:)

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

That is a cool old building and what a great idea to use it for your business! It fits right in and looks great!!
Kim

KEEPSAKE KORNER said...

Oh my goodness you have been busy this past weekend! Had to read this when you mentioned "smokin." LOL
Hugs
Susan

The country store said...

You are so lucky to have a building to use. Susan