Saturday, July 10, 2010

HELPFUL HINT WEEKEND THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT

I've used vegetable oil for sticker removal for years, but I've recently read that peanut butter is also good for this. Makes sense, there is oil in there! It works well on glass, copper & brass. Just rub a little on the area & wipe off!
Sunday Update: Especially for moms, someone just told me that peanut butter gets gum out of hair. Beats the scissors alternative!
Of course, the best hint I can give is to eat it! :)

Now here's a recipe (from the Jif website) unlike any I've ever seen for peanut butter. Sounds yummy!
If you try this recipe, please come back & post on the comments how you like it! My hubby has acid reflux pretty bad right now and I cannot make it until he's better.

PEANUT BUTTER TACO SALAD
Ingredients:
• 1 pound lean ground beef OR 1 poundlean ground turkey
• 1/4 cup Jif® Creamy Peanut Butter
• 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning mix
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 head iceburg lettuce, chopped (about 8 cups) plus additional for garnish
• 2 medium tomatoes, chopped plus 1 medium tomato cut into wedges for garnish
• 6 green onions, sliced
• 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup mild salsa
• 1/2 cup French salad dressing
• 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
• 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• Avocado slices (optional)
• Sour cream
Directions:
BROWN ground beef in medium skillet on medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain. Stir in peanut butter, taco seasoning mix and water until blended. Cook and stir 5 minutes.
COMBINE lettuce, chopped tomatoes, onion and beans in large serving bowl. Stir salsa and dressing in small bowl until blended. Pour over lettuce. Toss until evenly coated.
SPRINKLE 1 cup crushed tortilla chips on top of lettuce. Spoon meat mixture on layer of chips, then top with cheese. Sprinkle remaining chips around edge of bowl. Garnish center with additional chopped lettuce, tomato wedges, avocado slices and sour cream. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

8 comments:

Cave Creek Primitives said...

Wow, that sounds good, though I wouldn't have thought to put peanut butter with those ingedients! I'll have to try it soon.

Unknown said...

I will have to try this!

Tins and Treasures said...

Hmmmm...I love peanut butter...but was surprised to see this combination. I will have to try it!

Have a wonderful weekend. ~Natalie

PioneerLoft said...

OK everyone, PLEASE come back & post how you like this recipe!!!!

Firecracker Kid said...

What the? I woulda never thought of combining this together. That's nut! LOL. You should post this recipe on the OFG cooking blog.
I've got some glue I need to remove from glass. Thanks for the tip:)
Rid acid reflux tips next week?

PioneerLoft said...

Oh, someone just told me peanut butter is good for removing gum from hair. I'm going to go back and insert this in the blog, this is a great tip for moms!

Sugar Mountain Mercantile said...

I've used peanut butter to remove "sticky stuff" ever since I saw it on the TV show McGyver a hundred years ago! Works as well as Goo-Gone and it's always on hand...now to try the recipe...hmmmm :)
Debbie

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

That's an interesting combination!
Kim